If you are interested in working in the horticultural industry in Australia, there are two services under jobactive—the Australian Government’s employment service—that can help you:
- Harvest Labour Services
- the National Harvest Labour
Am I eligible for harvest work?
Anyone who is legally entitled to work in Australia can be placed into harvest work. This includes people visiting Australia who hold the appropriate work visas.
You do not need to be receiving income support payments to be a harvest worker.
Harvest work is available throughout the year when there aren’t enough local workers to harvest fruit and vegetable crops.
No matter your background, age or job history, harvest work offers you the opportunity to:
- combine work with travel around Australia
- carry out a range of different work activities
- work for the majority of the year.
What help can I get?
Harvest Labour Services can connect you with jobs picking fruit and other crops in rural and regional harvest areas.
- give you advice and information on seasonal harvest work across Australia
- provide information about where to stay, wages and working conditions
- put you in touch with employers.
You can find a Harvest Labour Services provider through the provider search on the jobactive website.
The National Harvest Labour Information Service can help you by providing:
- up-to-date information about harvest work vacancies on the Harvest Trail website
- the National Harvest Guide, with information on harvest work opportunities, working conditions, transport and accommodation options.
Want more information?
- Visit the Harvest Trail website
- Call the National Harvest Labour Information Service on 1800 062 332
- For a version of this information to print, download the jobactive—opportunities at harvest time fact sheet
Note that call charges apply for calls to ‘1800’ numbers from mobile phones.